Authorisations, permits and licences
MRA currently issues the following licences, permits and authorisations and accepts the following applications for notifications in the water sector.
Please click on the appropriate link below for further details on these licence. A copy of the relevant application form may be downloaded by clicking on the appropriate link. Applications may be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In that case, please send, in one email:
- Application, site plan and any other documents in one scanned pdf document;
- Any photos in jpeg format; and
- The bank transfer notice.
Alternatively, the application may be submitted by post to the address indicated in Contact Us.
Application to update records of users of a groundwater source. This application may also be used to register new users or updater records of users of groundwater sources. (Versjoni bil-Malti: Applikazzjoni biex jiġu mġedda r-records dwar utent/i ta’ sors tal-ilma ta’ taħt l-art )
Application for the closure, sealing and decommissioning of a groundwater source . The specifications for sealing of boreholes are: Specifications for sealing of boreholes. A certificate needs to be submitted by a Perit once the borehole is sealed: Sample_perit’s_certification.
Application for notification of Groundwater Source (LN 255 of 2008 as amended by LN 460 of 2011). (Versjoni bil-Malti: Applikazzjoni għal Notifika ta’ Sors tal-Ilma ta’ Taħt l-art ) . Note: New notifications are not being accepted, except in very specific circumstances described in the legislation. Please contact us prior to submitting an application.
Application for permit for borehole drilling or excavation works in the saturated zone. There is a moratorium on drilling of new boreholes for abstraction of fresh water. The declaration by a perit depending on the type of works to be carried out is here:
- Perit’s declaration – installation of an earth electrode within the saturated zone
- Perit’s declaration – site investigation purposes within the saturated zone
- Perit’s declaration – borehole for foundations or excavation works partly or totally within the saturated zone
- Perit’s declaration – seawell
- Perit’s declaration – borehole drilled in replacement of an irretrievably collapsed borehole
The sample affidavit for the drilling of a replacement borehole may be found here: Sample affidavit. Once completed, a drilling log should be submitted; a sample that is suitable may be found here: Sample drilling log
Licence to quarry and sell stone
To issue an operating licence on an existing quarry, the following are required:
- Letter requesting issue of licence with full contact details of applicant – including name, surname, father’s name, occupation, telephone number, email address and place of residence of the applicant;
- If quarry is owned by a company or a legal person, a board resolution authorising the applicant to apply for the licence, the company number and full contact details of the company;
- Police conduct certificate of the applicant;
- Certified true copy of ID card of applicant (to be signed by a lawyer or notary);
- An affidavit of ownership (as per sample on website and including site plan);
- Payment of licence fee (if applicable);
- Letter confirming that the current licensee has no on objection for the transfer of license.
Export of stone
In terms of the Malta Resources Authority Act, an appeal shall lie to the administrative Review Tribunal on any decision of the Authority in accordance with the provisions of this Act and any regulations made thereunder, and the right to appeal shall be competent to any person aggrieved by such decision.
Single point of contact in Malta
The single point of contact in Malta is https://businessfirst.com.mt/